GameLook report/In the mobile game market in the inventory stage, the implementation of Apple’s IDFA New Deal will undoubtedly greatly reduce the efficiency of targeted advertising. In fact, apart from the explosive growth stage before 2016, user acquisition has been a long-standing problem in the game industry. Game advertisers are just “fishing” the same group of users in a small pond.
No matter which platform it is, user growth will always reach a bottleneck, leading to a slowdown in game growth. As time goes by, it becomes more and more difficult for these ads to convert the same group of users.
In addition, advertising creative methods are usually similar, and when using gameplay, there is almost no consideration for the motivation for players to experience their games. At the same time, as the advertising ecosystem is upgraded to better meet people’s privacy protection needs, activities that consider advertising creativity from the source will become more and more important.
Facebook proposed a new creative advertising solution called “Big Catch”, and explained the opportunities and specific processes of the new method in the form of a complete report, hoping to help developers expand the user pool into a user ocean, and use motivation-led creativity Ways to discover new and diverse user groups.
The following is the complete report compiled by GameLook:
The main purpose of this article is to understand the Big Catch process, such as the (pond) opportunity scale, and how to try and expand its positioning in creative ways led by different motivations. Go through the process and testing process, and provide helpful suggestions.
1. Opportunities for new advertising ideas
There are more players than ever before, 86% of Internet users play mobile games, and 80% of users who are not called players actually play mobile games on their phones. These data alone show us that advertisers need more creativity and targeting methods in addition to users who claim to be players.
However, there is more to be aware of. The number of game users continues to grow. After COVID-19, we have seen a significant increase in the number of global mobile game players, and many of these users have not been lost due to the mitigation of epidemic prevention and control. For example, the number of gamers in the United States increased by 12%, the United Kingdom increased by 18%, and South Korea increased by 22%. Obviously, a creative approach may not be able to convince many types of people to try a game.
Perhaps it is time for us to re-recognize the term “player”. Globally, nearly one-third of mobile game players are 45 years of age or older, and the traditional 16-24 year-olds account for only 14.2% of mobile game players. Female players play more frequently: Compared with male players, they have at least 25% more market per game, and 43% of female players spend 5 times more games per week than males, and they pay slightly higher, such as 4.5% Women spend in-game consumption, while the proportion of men is 3.3%.
50% of mobile game players in the United States are women, 43% of old players are 45 years of age or older, and only 39% of new players are 34 years of age or younger. In addition, 36% of old players play an average of 1-5 times a week. .
Game motivation of different players in the U.S.
From the data point of view, people play games for many reasons, such as relieving stress, gaining a sense of accomplishment, or immersing themselves in the game world and characters. Although people play games for many reasons, we have not seen such diversity in game advertisements. At the same time, as advertising systems need to meet people’s needs for privacy protection, advertisers’ user positioning capabilities are becoming more and more restricted, making these game motivations more and more important.
2. New method of advertising creativity: Big Catch
Knowing what works and the reasons behind it is an experimental process that requires continuous learning. It can help you find new users and integrate the best methods into your business activities.
You can start by asking which player motivation your game is most suitable for. What are its uniqueness and differences? The important thing is not to understand what your opponent is doing, but to understand your users to unlock new creative opportunities.
Having determined which motivation matches your gameplay, you can use these inspirations to create new creative resources, and understand which methods are feasible when expanding the scope of positioning, and continue to find better ways.
The next step is adjustment, perhaps the most important part of this process. After knowing which methods work, you must continuously optimize creative execution based on previous experience and optimize to improve efficiency.
In order to test the new motivation-led approach, Facebook performed and analyzed 16 A/B tests. All of the Big Catch ideas brought very different users, proving that ideas have a great influence on buying volume and user expansion. Great influence. Through this test, Facebook also found that creating creatives through game motivation can also increase user value and bring higher advertising quality, which means better performance in bidding.
3. The specific process of Big Catch
1. Player motivation
The main motivation for players to play the game is the special experience your game can provide. In other words, what do players want in a game? Why did they choose a game over another similar product? Is it because it is more customized and socialized? In addition to the game itself, some people prefer customized games, and some people prefer social games.
On the other hand, the gameplay is related to the game, and the players recognize the gameplay because they can realize their motivation when playing the game. What is the feeling of victory? Is there a model that allows players to arrange and customize strategies in their own way and gain a sense of accomplishment?
There are countless types of gameplay, and there are many motivations for players. Facebook has summarized 8 motivations that cover most players:
1) Self-expression:Some games allow players to express their creativity and identity. Gamers play the game to get their own experience. From the perspective of allowing creative expression, personalization or customization, whether it is car painting, dressing, or creating characters from scratch, etc. The gameplay is all to satisfy the players’ self-expression needs.
2) Social connection:Some players want to establish contact with old or new friends, so they want a gameplay that allows others to join. These gameplays can be tribe, team, 1X1, team X team, competition or cooperation. For example, some games will write “beat your friends”, and some will invite you to join a guild. Different categories have different social connection practices, but they are all closely related to players’ social connection motivations.
3) Promote progress:Many players like to build, manage and improve things in the game. Building or completing something will bring them a sense of accomplishment. For example, build cities, farms, or small towns, or the characters can upgrade their abilities while finding new challenges, or explore new maps and travel.
4) Improve expertise:This is a motivation similar to pushing progress, because it is also related to a sense of accomplishment, but it goes a step further. Improving expertise refers to players wanting to be better in certain things. This is not necessarily related to winning the game. It is more about mastering all aspects of the game. For example, gameplay focusing on overcoming challenges, solving puzzles, gaining speed, accuracy, and speed of action are all related to it.
5) Learning and discovery:Many people play games for learning and discovery. Creativity with a large map, multi-world or hidden object gameplay can stimulate players’ potential interest. You can consider side quests, puzzles and escape rooms to increase the fun of discovery.
6) Powerful ability:Ability is a powerful motivation that enables players to achieve energy that cannot be obtained outside the game. The goal of many players is to defeat others and win. Therefore, for this type of player, you can consider playing methods such as becoming a monarch, king, queen, or boss, and you can also allow players to seize other people’s items or territory.
7) Escapism:Games are usually a way for people to distract themselves from reality. RPG, fantasy, and overhead worlds can all satisfy such motivations. In your game, you can try supernatural phenomena, wilderness adventures, or non-human characters to attract such players.
8) Relax and decompress:Whether waiting for the bus, taking a break after a tiring day, or simply passing the time, people want games as a way to relax. Stress-free, repetitive or slow-paced gameplay is important to these players. They don’t care about points, levels and leaderboards, and prefer puzzle solving, cards, relaxing music and Zen mode.
2. Use player motivation for advertising creativity
“Hotel Empire” is a simulation game where you can build your own hotel empire and become a travel tycoon. From running a small hotel to working hard to grow your business, upgrade all the details and turn your small place into a 5-star attraction.
From the perspective of the entire gameplay, “Hotel Empire” covers all the above eight player motivations, but from our actual experience, the four most obvious motivations are: self-expression, social connection, promotion of progress, and enhancement of expertise. Let’s take a look at how this game is creative:
Specifically, the game’s advertising creativity has 5 key points to consider:
1) Begin to use influential moments to clearly demonstrate player motivation and gameplay.You only have a few seconds to grab the user’s attention, so the opening of the ad is very important. If you know that a certain motivation is important to the conversion rate, then it’s best to show it at the beginning to make sure that the gameplay shows the picture and information of the player’s motivation .
2) In the initial stage, the main brand (game name, logo) is displayed, preferably within the first 3 seconds.The ideal situation to show your name or brand is within 3 seconds. This does not have to be a momentous moment, it can be just a scene switch, but make sure to let people know that the advertising content is your game.
3) Show real and relevant gameplay.In creating an advertisement, you can use the edited gameplay fragment, but make sure it can still show your game, and tell players what experience they will get after downloading.
4) Add your focused gameplay motivation into the advertisement.Throughout the creative process of video advertising, gameplay and motivation should be clearly connected. It is related to the theme of the advertisement and the story you want to tell, so you have to express it clearly, such as “get 5 stars for each level and get all rewards”.
5) Finally, use gameplay that has appealing power or strengthens the player’s motivation to let users download.Last but not least, the end of the ad is an important opportunity to increase the conversion rate. Use appealing slogans to push players to make up their minds (download), such as “design now”.
It needs to be pointed out that this is a learning process. You are creating a lot of ads to understand who likes them, and their reasons for expanding advertising positioning, finding new players, and improving advertising efficiency. Some ideas are more efficient than others. Also need to pay attention to is to maintain the continuity of video ads, separate different ideas, to clearly express the game itself, but also to maintain the same visual style.
3. Test, learn, and iterate continuously
After determining the advertising creative, you need to constantly test to verify the efficiency of the new creative. The key question at this stage is whether it can attract new users? Can it improve payment efficiency? Can I improve my ad score?
Analysis and iteration are a very critical part of the Big Catch process. With the above experience, you can continuously optimize your video advertising creativity to acquire new players and improve business performance.
If new ideas fail to attract new players, there are two key issues that need to be resolved at this time:
1）Is user targeting restricted by age or gender? If so, you can try a broader user base.
2）If your positioning is broad enough, try to make the creative more differentiated, because it is also possible that the new advertising creative is not so recognizable.
If the new advertising idea can bring new users, then create the next new idea.
This Article is curated from Source and we only provide the English version of the Story.