Team Xbox is proud to honor the contributions and significance of the Asian and Pacific Islander (API) community. As a second-generation Asian American, I am excited to not only pay tribute to our culture, customs, and traditions, but to celebrate the creators and players who share our passion for increased Asian representation and inclusion in games. Asians and Pacific Islanders are a richly diverse set of communities, representing a myriad of histories and heritage. We are celebrating this month by amplifying the many voices, stories, and expressions of Asian and Pacific Islander life that have influenced culture, society, and gaming today.
At Xbox, we are committed to creating a safe place where everyone on the planet can experience the joy of gaming, while championing the unique and diverse content made by innovative Asian and Pacific Islander creators who illuminate the positive role of gaming in their lives, as well as the power of respectful representation in games. This also includes broadening the perspective that careers and opportunities in gaming are welcome to all people, and that our industry will so richly benefit from seeing more creators in gaming who represent players around the world.
Why does increased API representation matter? Nearly half of the 3B+ gamers on the planet are in Asia (source). When it comes to gaming, the Asian and Pacific Islander community is influential, playing an impactful role as players, creators, and spectators. Asian American households own more video game related products than the entire US population (source). We strive to celebrate a global community and the many dimensions of the people within it. We endeavor to see more Asian and Pacific Islander characters in games telling our authentic stories and representing our vast cultures.
We invite you to join us in this celebration of culture and contributions from the Asian and Pacific Islander community. Here are some of the ways Xbox plans to honor this community in May:
Gaming and Impact with Microsoft Rewards
Microsoft Rewards members in the United States can earn and donate points to organizations supporting the Asian and Pacific Islander community with Xbox. The organizations below will be featured on console throughout May:
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC: Advancing Justice – AAJC works through policy advocacy, community education, and litigation to advance the civil and human rights of Asian Americans and to build and promote a fair and equitable society for all.
- AAPI Equity Alliance: AAPI Equity Alliance (AAPI Equity) is dedicated to improving the lives of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders through civic engagement, capacity building, and policy advocacy.
- Stop AAPI Hate: Stop AAPI Hate advances equity, justice, and power by dismantling systemic racism and building a multiracial movement to end anti-Asian American and Pacific Islander hate.
Xbox gamers can earn Microsoft Rewards points in various ways, such as playing or purchasing games after downloading the Microsoft Rewards app on Xbox. Earn points and redeem them for real rewards. Join us today and donate through Xbox.
Xbox Plays Livestreams Celebrates Asian and Pacific Islanders in Game
In celebration of Asian and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, Xbox Plays will be dedicating our livestreaming content in May to this community, featuring Asian and Pacific Islander protagonists in games, developers, content creators/streamers and nonprofits. Follow us on our Xbox Twitch Channel and don’t miss any of the action!
Xbox Ambassadors Showcase Asian and Pacific Islander Gaming Community
In the Xbox Ambassadors community, we are dedicated to sharing and amplifying community voices. So, in celebration of Asian and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, we asked those who identify as Asian and Pacific Islander in the Xbox Ambassadors community how games with diverse representation have impacted them and to share their stories about being a member of a gaming community. Here are their stories.
Discover Games Curated by Asian and Pacific Islander Communities at Microsoft
At any time, Microsoft Store on Xbox or Windows visitors and Xbox Game Pass members can access games selected by Asian and Pacific Islander communities at Microsoft, reflecting the vast diversity of East Asian, South Asian, Southeast Asian, and Pacific Islander cultures.
Check out the Xbox games and Windows games collections spanning creators, leads, cultures, Asian American creators and leads, plus games with audio, interface, and subtitles translated in Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
- Life is Strange: True Colors (Rated M and Available with Xbox Game Pass) – Alex Chen, the first Asian American protagonist in this award-winning series, uses her psychic power of empathy to try to solve the mystery behind her brother’s death. The story explores the importance of self-care and includes same gender relationship options.
- Sable (Available with Xbox Game Pass) – Guide Sable through her Gliding; a rite of passage that’ll take her on an unforgettable journey. Written by Meg Jayanth, who is Indian, and music composed by Japanese Breakfast, headed by Korean American, Michelle Zauner.
- Hoa – Inspired by Vietnamese art and culture, Hoa is a beautiful puzzle-platforming game that features breathtaking hand-painted art, lovely music, and a peaceful, relaxing atmosphere.
- Apex Legends – Playable characters include Rampart, who is voiced by British-Indian actress Anjali Bhimani, and Makoa Gibraltar, a symbol of strength for Pacific Islander and LGBTQIA+ communities.
- Elden Ring (Rated M) – A fantasy action, role-playing game adventure set within a world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki in collaboration with fantasy novelist George R.R. Martin.
View the collections in Canada, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Visitors to both the Xbox and Microsoft Store on Windows can find Asian and Pacific Islander community picks by searching for “API Heritage” and related terms. Content is subject to availability by country.
New Gamerpic, Profile Theme, and Avatar Items
In partnership with the Asian and Pacific Islander community at Xbox, we’re introducing a new gamerpic, profile themes, and avatar items! The gamerpic and profile theme will be available on console and the Xbox PC app. Get your avatar items here.
343 Industries Celebrates APIHM with New Nameplate and Emblem
The 343 Industries Team is celebrating APIHM with new content in Halo Infinite Lone Wolves: Season Two! During the month of May, any players logging into Halo Infinite will receive an exclusive nameplate and emblem celebrating APIHM.
Learn more about all that Xbox is doing to engage our communities at the Xbox Community Hub.
Check all Xbox News here: Gaming Ideology