But this invention, known as “Cortical Interface Level 7,” may also allow healthy people to use social media with just the power of their minds.
This brain implant differs from the one developed by Elon Musk in that the procedure required to implant it is less “invasive” and dangerous, as the chip is placed on the surface of the brain instead of on the tissue.
What is an implant?
- It’s a thin, flexible strip of material, similar to duct tape.
- The tape contains electrodes and is about one-fifth the thickness of a human hair.
- This helps the device to be implanted into the brain, fitting it to the surface of the brain without damaging any tissue.
How is agriculture done?
- To implant the device, surgeons make a very thin incision in your skull and insert it.
- The incision is less than a millimeter, meaning patients don’t even need to shave their heads, Precision CEO Michael Mager told CNBC.
- Mager added, “I think this is a huge advantage over techniques that require, for example, the removal of large parts of the skull, which are time-consuming and carry a high risk of infection. I’ve never met anyone who wanted a hole in the skull”.
- The device works by collecting and interpreting brain signals and sending commands to a connected device based on the received brain signal.
- Since scientists can easily increase the number of electrodes on the tape, it could be used to treat other neurological conditions.
- The chip can be easily removed if patients change their mind.
“Precision” said the device was able to decode brain signals in animals, expressing hope of getting approval from the US Food and Drug Administration to test the implants on humans in the coming months.
Read More About: Technology News